This page will be continuously updated as new information becomes available. Please send any additions to Juliana Restivo with the subject line: GMH-COVID19 Resources
Last updated June 1st 2020
Additional resources are also being compiled by the following groups:
- Center for Mindfulness and Compassion - Cambridge Health Alliance: Twice Daily Free Online Practice Groups
- Mental Health Innovation Network Website
- McLean Hospital
- Lee Kum Sheung Center for Health and Happiness - Harvard T.H School of Public Health
- Health and Wellbeing - Harvard Medical School
- COVID-Mind Network. International Network of Longitudinal Studies on Mental Health in COVID-19.
- Global survey of mental health and wellness in pregnant and post-partum women during the COVID-19 pandemic - Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Pregistry
Recorded Webinars, Podcasts:
- COVID-19 & Mental Health Webinar Series (multiple topics) - McLean Hospital
- Strengthening Our Reslience in an Uncertain Time - Dr. Nancy Rappaport, Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School
- How to Reduce the Psychological Harm of the COVID-19 Pandemic - BUSPH Seminar
- COVID-19 - How to Support Ourselves and Others Through Times of Fear and Isolation. Mental Health America.
- Cognitive Behavioral Strategies To Manage Anxiety: Tools to Build Resilience - MGH Psychiatry Grand Rounds. Dr. Luana Marques, Ph.D, Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School talks about managing anxiety during COVID-19
- The Hilarious World Of Depression Podcast: Addressing people with anxiety and depression managing increased symptoms from the situation
- Mental Health Implications of COVID-19. Professor Shekhar Saxena
Media and Policy Briefs:
- The coronavirus pandemic is pushing America into a mental health crisis - The Washington Post
- We Need to Take Action to Address the Mental Health Crisis in This Pandemic - Time Magazine. United Nations Secretary General, Antonio Guterres
- Policy Brief: COVID-19 and the Need for Action on Mental Health - United Nations
- Managing mental health during coronavirus - experts around the world share insights. Peter Varnum, WEF
- Navigating the perfect storm: Why investing in mental health has never been so urgent - India Leaders for Social Sector. Prof. Vikram Patel
- Coronavirus pandemic could inflict emotional trauma and PTSD on an unprecedented scale, scientists warn - CNBC
- Just plain sick: The coronavirus lays bare profound preexisting flaws in American health care - New York Daily News. Prof. Arther Kleinman
- What the virus reveals about caregivers - New York Daily News. Prof. Arthur Kleinman
- Coronavirus, Mental Health & Lockdown - The Quint. Prof. Patel is interviewed on the lockdown announcement in India
Informational and Coping Resources:
- Coronavirus: The word ‘social distancing’ was poorly chosen - Interview with Professor Vikram Patel, Harvard Medical School - Deccan Herald
- Stories from the field: Providing mental health and psychosocial support during the COVID-19 pandemic Mental Health Innovation Network
- Treating addiction on the streets of Boston. Over the phone. - Boston Globe
- The Heartbreaking Struggle to Stay Sober Under Lockdown - Elemental
- Get your resilience profile and personalized recommendations to improve your well-being during COVID-19 times. - UPenn
- Feeling more anxious and stressed? You’re not alone. Conversation with Dr. Karestan Koenen, professor of psychiatric epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Harvard Gazette
- I’m worried about the psychological toll on health care workers. They need help. Commentary by Dr. Nancy Rappaport (HMS/Cambridge Health Alliance). WBUR
- Launch of new Learning Hub on Telemental Health for mental health providers. Psych Hub
- Anxious about COVID-19? There’s only so much you can control - Co-authors Dr. J. Wesley Boyd (HMS/Cambridge Health Alliance) and HMS student Dipal Nagda Psychology Today
- Coping with Coronavirus: Support for the Autism Community - National Institute of Mental Health
- Combatting Coronavirus Starts With Keeping Health Workers Well- Thrive Global Written by HSPH Dean Michelle Williams
- “REMEMBER”: Surviving the Pandemic with your Children! (available in 20 languages!)- International Association for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Allied Professions. Written by Hesham Hamoda, MD, MPH Staff Psychiatrist, Boston Children’s Hospital Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School
- IACAP Newsletter- International Association for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Allied Professions.
- Mental Health and COVID-19 Digital Toolkit - American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- COVID-19 and persons with psychosocial disabilities - A joint-statement issued by different regional and international organisations of persons with psychosocial disabilities.
- Coronavirus and Mental Health—How to Deal With Fear and Anxiety During the Pandemic - Newsweek
- Mobile and Digital Health Tutorials - The Division of Digital Psychiatry, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Physical Distance and Social Solidarity - Not Social Distancing: Thrive Global. Written by Dr. Karestan Koenen
- Battling the Pandemic of Fear - Thrive Global. Op-Ed written by Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital's Karestan Koenen and Jordan Smoller on the mental health challenges and coping strategies for this period of fear and stress.
- 5 Ways to Manage your Coronavirus Stress - Thrive Global. Written by HSPH Dean Michelle Williams and Professor of the Practice of Global Mental Health, Shekhar Saxena
- The Discomfort that you're feeling is Grief - Harvard Business Review
- MGH Psychiatry Guide to Mental Health Resources for COVID-19 - Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Psychiatry
- Lived Experience Community Speaks Out - Global Mental Health Peer Network
- COVID-19 and Mental Health - Boston University School of Public Health, Written by BUSPH Dean Sandro Galea
- 10 Mental Health Tips for Coronavirus Social Distancing - Partners In Health. Written by Dr. Giuseppe Raviola, Director of Mental Health at Partners In Health
- Reducing Stress and Anxiety Related to Coronavirus - Twitter. Quick video by Dr. Laura Murray, Senior Scientist and Clinical Psychologist at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Coronavirus: Mental Health Coping Strategies - National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Mental Health Considerations during COVID-19 Outbreak - World Health Organization
- Talking to your kids about Coronavirus - WBUR. Written by Karestan C. Koenen, Ph.D Professor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Archana Basu, Ph.D, Research Associate, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and a clinical psychologist in the department of psychiatry and Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Information on stress and mental health related to the COVID-19 pandemic - By Korte, K.J., Denckla, C.A., Ametaj, A.A, & Koenen, K.C. at the Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health
- Helplines related to COVID-19 and mental health - Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- COVID-19 and Stigma - Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Talking to Youth about COVID-19 - Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- The psychological impact of quarantine and how to reduce it: rapid review of the evidence. The Lancet
- Patel V. Empowering global mental health in the time of COVID19 - Asian Journal of Psychiatry
- Suicide Mortality and Coronavirus Disease 2019—A Perfect Storm? - Jama Psychiatry
- Multidisciplinary research priorities for the COVID-19 pandemic: a call for action for mental health science - The Lancet Psychiatry
- Addressing the COVID-19 Pandemic in Populations With Serious Mental Illness - Jama Psychiatry
- Vahia I V., Blazer DG, Smith GS, Karp JF, Steffens DC, Forester BP, et al. COVID-19, Mental Health and Aging: A Need for New Knowledge to Bridge Science and Service. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry [Internet]. 2020 Mar [cited 2020 Mar 27];0(0). Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1064748120302712
- Duan L, Zhu G. Psychological interventions for people affected by the COVID-19 epidemic. The lancet Psychiatry. 2020 Apr 1;7(4):300–2.
- Asmundson GJG, Taylor S. How health anxiety influences responses to viral outbreaks like COVID-19: What all decision-makers, health authorities, and health care professionals need to know. Vol. 71, Journal of Anxiety Disorders. Elsevier Ltd; 2020.
- Wind TR, Rijkeboer M, Andersson G, Riper H. The COVID-19 pandemic: The ‘black swan’ for mental health care and a turning point for e-health. Internet Interv [Internet]. 2020 Mar 19 [cited 2020 Mar 27];100317. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S2214782920300464
- Xiang YT, Yang Y, Li W, Zhang L, Zhang Q, Cheung T, et al. Timely mental health care for the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak is urgently needed. Vol. 7, The Lancet Psychiatry. Elsevier Ltd; 2020. p. 228–9.
- Torous J, Jän Myrick K, Rauseo-Ricupero N, Firth J. Digital Mental Health and COVID-19: Using Technology Today to Accelerate the Curve on Access and Quality Tomorrow. JMIR Ment Heal [Internet]. 2020 Mar 26 [cited 2020 Mar 27];7(3):e18848. Available from: http://mental.jmir.org/2020/3/e18848/
- Lai J, Ma S, Wang Y, et al. Factors Associated With Mental Health Outcomes Among Health Care Workers Exposed to Coronavirus Disease 2019. JAMA Netw Open. 2020;3(3):e203976. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.3976
- Brooks SK, Webster RK, Smith LE, Woodland L, Wessely S, Greenberg N, et al. The psychological impact of quarantine and how to reduce it: rapid review of the evidence. Lancet [Internet]. 2020;395(10227):912–20. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30460-8
- Gao J, Zheng P, Jia Y, Chen H, Mao Y, Chen S, et al. Mental Health Problems and Social Media Exposure During COVID-19 Outbreak [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Mar 22]. Available from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3541120
- Yao H, Chen J-H, Xu Y-F. Patients with mental health disorders in the COVID-19 epidemic [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Mar 25]. Available from: www.thelancet.com/psychiatry
- Artists draw life under coronavirus - Politico. Artists from around the globe draw what they’re seeing and feeling in isolation.